- Olive oil for frying
- 1/2 french bread loaf cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 Italian Roma tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 pound fresh Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- For croutons: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the bread crumbs and fry until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring oven to prevent sticking. Remove the croutons from pan and drain on a paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the remaining ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, toss the fried bread with the other ingredients and place on a platter. Can be made ahead of time, by keeping the bread separate until serving.