- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- Creole spice
- 8 ounces chicken livers, trimmed and chopped
- Up to 2 cups chicken stock
- Chopped parsley and scallions, for garnish
- Rinse quinoa in running water and drain as much water as possible. Heat a sautÈ pan over high heat, add quinoa and toast grains, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, until dry and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- In a large saucepan heat oil, add chopped onions, mushrooms, green peppers, celery, Creole spice and cook, tossing and stirring often, until tender, 5 minutes. Add liver and toss to coat with vegetables and their juices. Stir in stock and toasted quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to very low. Simmer until grain in tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Serve garnished with parsley and scallions.