- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices French bread (sliced on bias 1/2-inch thick)
- 4 2-ounce slices fresh foie gras, cut from 1 deveined lobe
- Salt and white pepper
- Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup top-quality aged balsamic vinegar;1/4 cup Caramel sauce, for drizzling (see next recipe)
- In a large, shallow bow whisk eggs. Mix together sugar and nutmeg, whisk into eggs, and add milk, juice and zest.
- Heat 2 saute pans, preferably nonstick, over medium heat; heat oil in one pan. Dip bread slices in egg mixture until thoroughly moistened. Carefully transfer to oiled pan and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once. Season foie gras with salt and pepper and sear until a brown, crusty edge forms on each side, about 1 minute per side. Transfer toasts and foie gras slices to warmed plates. Arrange 1 slice foie gras on each toast; dust very lightly with powdered sugar; drizzle with vinegar and drizzle caramel sauce in a pattern around rim of plate. Serve immediately.