- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen strawberries
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 slices French bread (sliced on bias 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Unsweetened whipped cream, for garnish
- Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Make strawberry syrup: In a small saucepan combine syrup, sugar, spices and strawberries. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Lower heat to simmering and cook until thick and syrupy consistency is reached. Keep warm.
- Make chocolate french toast: In a large shallow bowl whisk eggs. In a small bowl combine vanilla sugar and cocoa until well-blended and whisk into eggs. Whisk in milk. In a saute pan, preferably nonstick, heat half of oil over medium heat. Dip bread slices in egg mixture until thoroughly moistened. Carefully transfer half of bread slices to pan and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer to warmed plate. Repeat with remaining bread slices. To serve, drizzle with strawberry syrup, top with a dollop of whipped cream, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.