- 1 1/2 sheets homemade or prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for glaze
- 2 ripe pears, halved, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Caramel sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry into a rectangle about 8 by 5-inches. Cut 1/2 sheet puff pastry into 4 1/2-inch strips to use as borders. Brush edges of pastry sheet with egg wash and attach strips. Use a fork to prick bottom of shell, but do not prick borders. Place on baking sheet.
- Cut pears lengthwise through bottom of pear half, leaving them attached at stem end. Press pears lightly to fan. Use a spatula to transfer pear halves to top of puff pastry shell. Sprinkle with sugar and spices. Brush top of borders with remaining egg wash, taking care not to let it drip over sides. Bake 25 minutes, or until pears are tender and borders are puffed and golden-brown. Serve warm drizzled with caramel sauce.