- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon diced shallots
- 3 cups sliced leeks, carefully rinsed of all sand or dirt
- Salt and white pepper
- 1/2 cup goat's cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound frisee lettuce, cleaned and dried
- Marinated Lentils (see next recipe)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Top-quality balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- In a skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil with onion, garlic and shallot over medium heat, 1 minute. Add leeks and sweat, stirring occasionally, until moisture is released and then evaporates. Transfer leek mixture to a bowl and stir in goat's cheese, sour cream and hot pepper sauce; season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- In 2 shallow bowls, mix flour with 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning in one and bread crumbs with remaining tablespoon seasoning in second. When cool enough to handle, form leek mixture into 4 patties (if very sticky, moisten your hands with water). Dredge cakes first in flour, then in bread crumb mixture, coating them thoroughly. In clean skillet heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium high heat. When hot, add breaded cakes and saute until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To assemble, divide lettuce among 4 plates and top with leek cakes. Mound some lentils alongside, sprinkle with parsley and drizzle lightly with Balsamic vinegar.