- 1 recipe Basic Bread Dough for Stuffed Bread (see above recipe)
- 1 2-pound link fully-cooked garlic veal sausage
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for egg wash
- Grease a baking sheet. On a lightly-floured work surface, punch down bread dough and roll into a 5 by 12-inch rectangle. Place sausage in center of dough and fold bread dough around sausage to completely enclose, squeezing out any air pockets. Brush edges with egg wash before folding and sealing. Transfer to baking sheet, seam-side down, and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a razor or serrated knife, cut a shallow slit in center of dough, lengthwise, and brush with egg wash. Bake bread until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let bread cool in pan on a rack 20 minutes, then turn out and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.