- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 3/4 pounds lean pork, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 pound pork fat, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely-ground fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- In a small skillet heat oil with onion and garlic over low heat; sweat until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl to cool and toss with remaining ingredients. Place 1/4-inch die in meat grinder; run all ingredients through. Cook a small patty, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Form ground meat into 2-inch patties. In a cold cast-iron skillet, place sausages and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, about 15 minutes or until well browned.