- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsnips
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped turnips
- 2 cups finely-chopped raw duck meat
- 2 tablespoons peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 cups duck stock (or brown chicken stock)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large pot heat oil over high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of the onions, the celery, carrots, parsnips and turnips and sauté 2 minutes. Add duck meat, tomatoes, basil and 1 tablespoon of the garlic, Stir in stock and 1 cup cold water; season with 1 tsp salt and 3 turns of black pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmering, cover and cook 25 minutes, until duck is cooked through and tender.
- In a bowl combine egg, beer, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 turns pepper, 2 tablespoons of the onions, flour and baking powder in a bowl; whisk batter until smooth.
- Uncover stew, increase heat until bubbling briskly and add about 16 golf-ball-size spoonfuls of batter to stew. Cook dumplings 2 minutes, reduce heat to simmering and cook 1 minute more. To serve, ladle stew into each of 4 shallow soup balls and top each portion with 4 to 5 dumplings.