- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 3/4 cup flour plus extra for rolling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup milk
- Banana-Raisin Caramel Sauce (add sliced bananas and rum-soaked raisins to your favorite caramel sauce)
- Powdered sugar in a sugar shaker
- In a deep-fryer heat oil over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F. Into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, banana and milk. Using a wooden spoon, beat dry ingredients into egg mixture until a biscuit-like dough forms. Lightly flour work surface and turn out dough. Pat dough out to a 1/4-inch thick round. Use a 2 1/2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut out desired shapes. Reroll scraps.
- Fry beignets in small batches about 4 minutes until golden, turning several times to color evenly. Using a slotted spoon gently remove beignets and drain thoroughly on paper towels. To serve, arrange 3 beignets on each of 4 desserts plates and drizzle with Banana-Caramel Sauce. Shake powdered sugar over all and serve.