- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 3 1/2 cups sifted flour plus extra for rolling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, melted
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Powdered sugar in a sugar shaker
- In a deep-fryer heat oil over medium-high heat to 365 degrees F. Into a bowl sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In a large bowl whisk together sugar and eggs; stir in melted shortening, milk and lemon rind. Using a wooden spoon, beat dry ingredients into egg mixture until a biscuit-like dough forms. Lightly flour work surface and turn out dough. Pat dough out to a 1/4-inch thick round. Use a 2 1/2 to 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut rounds. Reroll scraps.
- Fry beignets in small batches about 4 minutes or until golden, turning several times to color evenly. Using a slotted spoon gently remove beignets and drain thoroughly on paper towels. Shake powdered sugar over beignets and serve immediately.