- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 6 cups 1/2-inch-diced day-old bread (such as French baguette, Italian loaf or brioche)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- About 2 cups sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a large baking dish (10 x 14 inches) with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar, cream and milk. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, bananas, pecans, bread and chocolate, blending thoroughly. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter and pour into baking dish. Bake until just firm, 1 hour. Cool pudding in dish on a baking rack until just warm, then cut into squares. To serve, top one square of pudding with a dollop of whipped cream and dust with confectioners' sugar.