- 3 medium-large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Roast peppers: Turn burner to high. Impale a red pepper on a long-handled fork and hold over high heat, turning to char skin evenly. When skin is brown and crackly, immediately plunge pepper in a bowl of ice water; the skin will fall away. Repeat with remaining peppers. Seed peppers and chop coarsely. Alternatively, broil peppers in a preheated broiler 4 inches from element, turning to char all sides evenly.
- Combine oil, onions, garlic, basil, salt, cayenne, 3 turns of pepper and roasted peppers in a medium saucepan. Cook 3 minutes over high heat. Stir in stock and cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Puree red pepper mixture in food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes. Reheat on medium-low heat before serving.