- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon assorted chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, parsley, thyme)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium saucepan heat butter and milk over high heat, whisking until butter melts and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in salt and pepper. Combine flour and baking powder and add to milk mixture all at once, whisking and then stirring until mixture comes away from the sides of pan and forms a ball of dough. Remove from heat and turn into a bowl.
- In an electric mixer beat in 5 eggs, one at a time. Make sure each egg is thoroughly incorporated before adding next. Add herbs and cheese, stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
- Use a pastry bag without a tip to pipe 16 generous golf ball-size blobs of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, smooth on the bottom, and dry inside, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. May be made ahead; do not refrigerate.