- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 6-inch lengths
- Coarse salt
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup walnut pieces, roasted
- 1 large head leaf lettuce or 8 cups mixed salad greens
- One-half cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- One-half teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- One-third cup snipped chives
- Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into cold water for 5 minutes, drain and dry. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and place in glass baking dish. Add the asparagus and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate one hour. Remove asparagus to a side plate. Tear the salad greens into bite-size pieces and toss with remaining dressing, season with salt and pepper. Arrange the greens on four salad plates. Top with the asparagus, crumbled cheese and walnuts.
- Recipes reprinted with permission from Northwest Food & Wine by Dan and Kathleen Taggart.