- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Two and one-half teaspoons salt
- One-half teaspoon sugar
- One-half teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One-half teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cinnamon sticks, each 2 inches long
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 pounds small white onions
- Trim off and discard excess fat from the meat, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Brown on all sides in the hot oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Combine the next 7 ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over the meat. Add the cinnamon. Stick the cloves in one of the onions and add to the pot. Cover and simmer on medium-low until the meat is almost tender, about one and one-half hours. Peel the remaining onions and add. Continue cooking another 30 to 40 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and the clove-studded onion before serving.