- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- One-third cup shortening
- One-half cup light brown sugar
- One and one-fourth teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup diced, pitted dates
- Three-fourths cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- One-fourth cup finely chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sift together the first 3 ingredients and set aside. Mix the shortening with the brown sugar and allspice until fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the dates. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Turn into a greased, lightly floured 9-inch square pan. Combine the last 4 ingredients together and mix well. Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or the top springs back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn the cake out of pan onto a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.