- 2 pounds medium-large shrimp in their shells, about 42 shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Creole Seasoning, in all
- 16 turns freshly ground black pepper, in all
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, in all
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 lemons, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 mini Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells, sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning and 8 turns of the black pepper. Use your hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base and biscuits.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic and sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the reserved shrimp shells, the remaining 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning, the bay leaves, lemons, water, Worcestershire, wine, salt, and the remaining 8 turns black pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, allow to cool for about 15 minutes, and strain into a small saucepan. There should be about 1 1/2 cups. Place over high heat, bring to a boil, and cook until thick, syrupy, and dark brown, for about 15 minutes. Makes about 4 to 5 tablespoons of barbecue sauce base.
- Prepare the Buttermilk Biscuits, and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and sautÈ them, occasionally shaking the skillet for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and all of the barbecue base. Stir and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the shrimp to a warm platter with tongs and whisk the butter in the sauce. Remove the from the heat. Makes about 2 cups.
- To serve 4, allow 1/2 cup of sauce, about 10 shrimp, and 3 biscuits each; for 6 servings, 1/3 cup sauce, about 7 shrimp and 2 biscuits.