- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon dark cane or corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the nuts, peppers, and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and peel, seed and chop the peppers. In a food processor, combine the nuts, peppers, onions, chili powder, cumin, salt, tamarind paste, 1 tablespoon dark cane syrup, vinegar and olive oil. Puree until creamy, stopping once to scrape the sides of the bowl. Turn the sauce into a saucepan. Whisk in the chicken stock and cream. Bring the sauce up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Serve the mole sauce with the tamales.