- 2 teaspoons, plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup minced yellow onions
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups sweet green peas, blanched and drained (about 1 1/2 pounds frozen peas)
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Emerilís Original Essence
- 4 ounces Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400deg F. Grease an 8-cup oval gratin dish with the 2 teaspoons of the butter and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and season lightly with salt and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the milk and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the peas and mix thoroughly, then pour into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl season the breadcrumbs with Essence, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the peas and top with the grated cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake until bubbly and the top is lightly golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and serve.