- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces prosciutto finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped, peeled, seeded tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Baby Grilled Cheese Sandwiches 
- Chopped chives and parsley, for garnish
- 4 to 5 whole tortillas, fried and chopped, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the prosciutto, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the cream and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- If you like a smooth soup you may use a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, caramelize the sugar over low heat. Add the vinegar and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add to the soup a teaspoon at a time to balance the acidity.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and arrange the sliced sandwiches around the sides. Garnish with the herbs and chopped tortillas and serve.