- 1 large egg*
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- Place the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, 1 tablespoon of the water, and the salt in a food processor or blender and process for 20 seconds. With the motor running, start to pour the oil in a thin stream through the feed tube, processing until the mixture begins to thicken. When half of the oil has been incorporated, add the remaining tablespoon of water. With the motor running, add the remaining oil in a thin stream, processing until incorporated. Adjust the seasoning to Taste, with salt and cayenne, if desired. Cover, and refrigerate. The mayonnaise will keep, stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
- *RAW EGG WARNING The American Egg Board states: "There have been warnings against consuming raw or lightly cooked eggs on the grounds that the egg may be contaminated with Salmonella, a bacteria responsible for a type of foodborne illness... Healthy people need to remember that there is a very small risk and treat eggs and other raw animal foods accordingly. Use only properly refrigerated, clean, sound-shelled, fresh, grade AA or A eggs. Avoid mixing yolks and whites with the shell"