- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, washed and patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 48 ounces chicken stock
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces flour
- Dumplings 
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil, over medium heat, in roasting pan on top of stove.
- Place chicken in the oil and brown on both sides. Add the vegetables and bay leaf. SautÈ the vegetables for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, cover and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender. Remove from the oven. To create a sauce, remove the chicken and vegetables from the pan, leaving the stock.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the melted butter and flour. Mix well. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly for a blond roux. Place roasting pan on stove, over a low flame and whisk in the roux. Once the sauce has thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes, add the reserved chicken and vegetables. Add the dumplings and simmer for 5 minutes. Spoon into individual serving bowls. Garnish with chopped parsley.