- 1/2 pound dried currants
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 recipe Basic Sponge Cake
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 recipe Creme Anglaise 
- 1 cup Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 12 fresh mint sprigs
- In a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, combine the currants, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sherry. Let cool completely.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the sponge cake, then sprinkle the almonds evenly over the currant mixture. Cut the cake horizontally into 1-inch-wide strips, then cut the strips into quarters. Spoon the creme Anglaise into 12 dessert bowls, then in each bowl stack four pieces of the cake on top of each other. Spoon over the whipped cream, and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve immediately.