- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound cooking pears, such as Bartlett, cored, quartered and small diced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the quesadillas:
- 1/2 pound Maytag Farms Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 pound Brie, thinly sliced
- 16 small flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil for pan frying
- For the walnuts:
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon and sugar mixture
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the sugar and cinnamon, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the pears and salt. Mix well. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the pears and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Place 1/2-ounce of the blue cheese and 1/2-ounce of the brie over half of each tortilla. Fold the tortillas over and press firmly. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add a third of the quesadillas and pan fry for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Pan-fry the rest of the quesadillas in small batches.
- Fry the walnuts for 1 minute. Remove and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Drain on paper towels. Slice the quesadillas in half and serve with the pear compote and walnuts. Garnish with parsley.