- 6 pounds baby goat shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 ounces salt pork, small diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 cups Chestnut Flour Polenta (same as polenta but with chestnut flour)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Season the goat with salt and pepper. Dredge the goat pieces in the flour, shaking off any excess. In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, render the salt pork, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the goat and brown on all sides. Remove the goat and set aside. Add the onions and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the vegetables are wilted, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Stir in the stock. Add the thyme and bay leaves. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1 hour or until the goat is tender. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in the olives. Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve the stew ladled over the Chestnut Flour Polenta and garnish with parsley.