- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 6 baby artichokes, trimmed and halved
- Zest of one medium orange
- 8 cups fish stock
- 4 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 pound Swiss Chard, thinly sliced
- 1 pound baby new or red potatoes, quartered
- 3 pounds firm white fish, such as Daurade, Sole, Bass, Grouper, Pollack, etc., cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 12 toasted French bread rounds (2-inch rounds and 1/2-inch thick)
- 1 recipe of Rouille
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 4 minutes. Add the fennel. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to saute for 4 minutes. Add the artichokes, orange zest and fish stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes, Swiss chard and potatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Lay the fish in the simmering liquid. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the fish is flaky. Stir in the parsley.
- To serve, lay a couple of the croutons in the center of each serving bowl. Ladle the soup over the croutons. Drizzle the Rouille over each serving. Serve immediately.