- 2 pounds fresh, ripe peaches
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 pints fresh raspberries, picked over
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- For the Cinnamon Crust:
- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put the peaches in a shallow baking pan and rub with the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Bake until very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Peel and stone the peaches, reserving the peels and stones.
- Put the peaches in a food processor, reserving any juice, and puree until smooth. Combine the reserved peach juice with the cornstarch to make a slurry. Combine the slurry with the peach puree and cook over medium heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Add the honey and mix well. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
- For the ice cream, in a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the peach peels and stones, the raspberries, sugar and the cream. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Remove the stones, then puree the mixture using a handheld blender or food processor. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Place the mixture back in the saucepan.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the yolks until smooth. Add 1/2 cup of the cream mixture to the yolks and whisk well. Add the yolk mixture back to the cream and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve. Cool in an ice bath until chilled. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufactures directions. Keep frozen until ready to use.
- For the crust, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt, in a medium-size mixing bowl. Add the lard and work it in with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, working it in with your hands. Add only as much as you need for a smooth ball of dough to form. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- To assemble, remove the crust from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Divide the dough in half, saving half for later use.
- Roll the dough out 1/8-inch thick into a 14-inch circle. Using a 6-inch round cutter, cut the dough into 6 circles. Spread a sixth of the peach filling in the center of each round, fold the dough over, and crimp the edges together with a fork. Heat a deep-fryer to 360 degrees F. Fry the pies, 2 to 3 at time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve each pie with a scoop of the Roasted Peach and Raspberry Ice Cream.