- For the sabayon:
- 1/2 cup Calvados, or other apple brandy
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- For the caramelized apples and pears:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons apple brandy
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- FOR THE SABAYON: Put the apple brandy in a double boiler set over medium heat. Add the eggs and begin whisking. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is light and foamy, about 6 minutes. When the mixture is light and foamy and thickened, remove from the heat and set aside.
- FOR THE CARAMELIZED APPLES AND PEARS: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pears and apples, the brown sugar, the nutmeg and the cinnamon. cook, stirring gently, until the fruit begings to soften, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the 3 tablespoons brandy and carefully flambé the brandy. When the flames go out, pour the apple mixture into a small baking dish. Top the mixture with the sabayon and place in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, or until sabayon begins to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.