- 1 eggplant, sliced into quarters
- 1 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 yellow peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, roasted, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 Roma tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 24 large shrimp
- 4 wooden skewers, soaked overnight
- Creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place eggplant in a shallow baking dish. Season the eggplant with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and salt and pepper. Place the eggplant in the oven and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Add the garlic cloves and cook, over medium heat, for 10 minutes to infuse the oil with garlic flavor. Remove the garlic from the oil. Fry the bread in the oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt, pepper and the Parmesan cheese.
- To a large bowl, add the peppers. Sprinkle the sliced tomatoes with salt and add to the peppers. Add the onions and mix well. Season the onion mixture with salt and pepper, remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss well and set aside.
- Skewer the shrimp. Season with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill the shrimp for 2 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from the grill and remove the shrimp from the skewers. Remove the eggplant from the oven and cut into large pieces.
- To serve: Place the eggplant in a large bowl. Top with the pepper mixture and the shrimp. Top with the fried bread. Add basil and parsley. Toss well.