- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice ham
- 2 slices home-style white bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- Using a butter knife and 1/2 tablespoon of the butter, coat one side of each slice of bread.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and, when hot, add the bread slices, buttered side down, to one side of the skillet.
- After 30 seconds, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the other side of the skillet and, when melted, add the ham and egg to the skillet.
- Season the egg with the salt and pepper. Using the edge of a spatula, pierce the egg yolk so that it runs. Allow to cook until the egg begins to firm and the ham browns, about 30 seconds.
- Using the spatula, flip both the ham and the egg and continue to cook until both are done, about 30 seconds longer.
- Using the spatula, stack the ham and egg on one unbuttered side of the toast, and top with the other slice, buttered side up.
- Use the spatula to remove the sandwich from the skillet, transfer to a plate, and serve.