- 1 pound veal stew meat
- 1 quart veal oil (veal deckle fat rendered down with pomace oil)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 ounces dried morel mushrooms
- Warm water
- Heavy cream
- 2 (11 by 14-inch fresh pasta sheets, cut into 2-inch squares (about 64 squares)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- FOR THE VEAL RAVIOLI FILLING: Season the meat with salt and pepper. Place the meat in an ovenproof pan and cover with the veal oil. Add the garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Slow cook the meat for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove from the oven and strain. Reserve the veal oil for future use. Discard the rosemary. In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, add the veal meat, 1/4 cup of the reserved oil, 1/2 cup of the shallots, garlic, rosemary and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. If the rillette is not moist enough, add some of the remaining veal oil. Cover the rillette and store in the refrigerator. The rillette will keep for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 3/4 pound.
- FOR THE MOREL CREAM SAUCE: Place the dried morels in a shallow bowl. Pour the warm water over the morels. Allow to sit for at least 1 hour. Strain the morels, reserving the liquid. Cut the rehydrated morels into 1/4-inch thick rings. In a saucepan, over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons of the oil. Add the morels and the remaining 1/2 cup of shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 6 minutes. Add the reserved and strained morel liquid. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes. Add the cream and continue to cook for 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- TO MAKE THE RAVIOLI'S: Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of 32 pasta squares. Lightly wet the edges of the pasta with water. Place 1 pasta square on top of the filled square. Press the edges of the square firmly to seal the square. Repeat the procedure until all the squares are sealed. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain. Toss the raviolis with the warm mushrooms sauce and garnish with the grated cheese.