- 8 cups uncooked shrimp shells (from about 1 pound large shrimp)
- 2 medium-size yellow onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium-size lemons, halved
- 1 bouquet garni (5 sprigs of fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves, 10 black peppercorns, 3 sprigs of fresh parsley wrapped in a square of cheesecloth and tied with kitchen twine)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts cold water
- Rinse the shrimp heads and shells under cool water and place them in a stockpot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool thoroughly, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze in containers for up to 1 month.