- 4 slices of bread (your choice of white, rye, whole-wheat)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cheese (again, your choice, try Cheddar, blue, Swiss, Monterey jack, mozzarella. The cheese can be sliced, crumbled, or shredded.)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Spread the bread evenly with the butter. Top each slice with your choice and amount of cheese. Place the cheese-topped bread under the broiler. Heat it just enough so that the cheese has melted and bubbles. Remove from the broiler and sprinkle with black pepper.