- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fennel, bulb only
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pounds peeled, seeded and chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 8 tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup Pernod
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 sprigs fresh fennel leaves
- Parmesan Fennel Breadsticks 
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and onions, and sauté for 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes and Pernod and cook for 5 minutes until half of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and puree it in batches in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and reheat. Stir in the cream and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Ladle the soup in bowls and garnish with the Parmesan and fennel. Serve with the Parmesan Fennel Breadsticks.