- 1 quart whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 recipe of Peanut Butter and Chocolate Pralines
- 2 one-pound loaves Chocolate Pound Cake, store-bought, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine the milk, cream, and sugar. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the milk up to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, this will scald the milk. Whisk in the chocolate. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture into the beaten eggs. Add the egg mixture to the remaining milk and continue to cook until the mixture comes back to a boil. This mixture will be thick and will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and strain into a glass bowl. Cover the top of the mixture with plastic wrap and cool completely. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill completely. Pour the filling into an ice cream machine and follow the instructions for the churning time. Fold in the pralines and freeze in 1 pound loaf pans.
- After the ice cream is firm, remove from the pan. Slice the ice cream into 1/2-inch slices. Place one slice of ice cream between two slices of pound cake, forming a sandwich. Repeat process until all of the cake is used. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to use. When ready, unwrap and serve.
- Yield: about 16 servings