- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 4 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon cubed cold butter
- 1/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese (1-ounce)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Butter a baking sheet. In the bowl of a mixer or food processor, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt and process briefly to combine. Add the butter and cheese and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour in the buttermilk, then process until the dough comes together, about 15 seconds. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. Knead 3 times only, then pat into a circle 3/4-inch thick. Cut into petite biscuits, using a 1-inch biscuit cutter. Place the dough circles on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes in the upper third of the oven, until puffed and golden.