- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 6 to 8 thin slices of lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh filets of cod, scrod or halibut
- 1 teaspoon Essence
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup tomato concasse (meat of tomato only, chopped in one-half inch pieces)
- 6 to 8 fresh bay leaves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a non-reactive baking dish place the lemon juice, wine, lemon slices, half of the chopped thyme, half of the chopped basil, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Scatter the sliced garlic over top of the lemon-herb mixture. Season the fish filets on both sides with Essence, salt and freshly ground white pepper. Lay filets on top of the lemon slices and scatter the tomato concasse over the filets. Top with the remaining chopped thyme and basil and then drizzle with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange the bay leaves on top of the fish filets, cover dish with aluminum foil, and bake until fish flakes apart easily, about 15 to 25 minutes, depending on type of fish and thickness of filets.