- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, warm
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh figs
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- Cook the sugar in a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the orange juice and bring to a boil. Add the figs, star anise, and peppercorns, bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing on the solids to remove as much liquid as possible. If necessary, thin with a little warm water to a make a sauce consistency.