- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 6 ears young sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped, peeled, and seeded tomatoes, or 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside. Pour off all of the bacon fat except for 2 tablespoons. Cut the corn off the cob by thinly slicing across the tops of the kernels and then cutting across a second time to release the milk from the corn. Scrape the cob once or twice to extract the milk. You should have about 4 cups of corn with the milk. To the pan, over medium heat, add the oil, onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the corn. Season with salt and cayenne. Continue to sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the corn is tender. Stir in the milk and remove from heat. Stir in the crispy bacon and green onions. Serve immediately.