- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 (2-pound) beef brisket
- Emeril's Original Essence
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (not dark)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 carrots, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 1 boiling potato, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 turnip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooked buttered noodles, as accompaniment
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon in 1 tablespoon water over moderate heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pat brisket dry and season with salt, pepper and Essence. Brown in bacon fat. Transfer brisket to platter. Add the onions to the Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste. Cook 1 minute more. Add beer, broth, and bacon bits. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Braise the brisket, covered, in the oven for 2 to 3 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and turnips for the last 45 minutes.
- Transfer the brisket and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a plate and keep warm, covered. Bring the braising liquid to a boil. Let sauce reduce over high heat until thickened. Season sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. Slice the brisket and arrange it and the vegetables with the noodles on a platter. Spoon some of the sauce over the brisket and the vegetables, sprinkle the dish of parsley, and serve the remaining sauce separately.