- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 head of garlic, split in half
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup Cognac
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 pound crab meat, picked over for cartilage
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Finely chopped red onions
- Finely chopped hard-boiled egg whites
- Finely chopped hard-boiled egg yolks
- Capers, drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 (4-ounce) ramekins with butter. In a sauce pot, bring the cream and garlic up to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the garlic.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Temper the cream into the yolks. Stir in the shallots, Cognac, cayenne, and crab meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the ramekins in an oven proof baking pan. Ladle the mixture into the prepared ramekins. Fill the baking pan with water until it comes 2/3 of the way up the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes or until the custard has set. Remove from the oven. Using a knife gently loosen the custard from the ramekin and invert onto the serving plates. Drizzle each plate with the sabayon. Garnish with the traditional garnishes and caviar.