- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted Exotic mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lobe of Grade B Foie Gras, cleaned and small diced
- 4 (12-ounce) bottles Turbo Dog Beer
- 4 cups beef or veal stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups small diced day-old brioche (1-inch by 1-inch), tossed in olive oil, seasoned and toasted until golden
- In a stock pot, over medium heat, stir the oil and flour together. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10 to 15 minutes for a blonde roux. Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mushrooms wilt.
- In a large hot saute pan, render the foie gras quickly for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to the mushroom mixture, including the foie fat. Add the beer and stock. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 1 hour. Using a handheld blender, puree the soup until smooth. Whisk in the cream. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the croutons.