- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Line a 8 x 8 x 2 inch square pan with aluminum foil. Butter the pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Butter the bottom and sides of a 2 quart heavy saucepan with 1 teaspoon of the butter. Combine the sugars, light cream, chocolate and corn syrup in the saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook until the mixture reaches a boil, stirring constantly. Carefully clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage, (234Âº).
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Let the mixture stand, without stirring, for about 1 hour or until the mixture reaches 110Âº.