- 4 tablespoons Creole or whole-grain mustard
- 8 to 12 slices French bread, each about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 pound Mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
Spread the mustard on each half of bread. (You may be able to make up to 6 sandwiches, depending on the size of your french bread.) Layer with the cheese and meats on one half, then top with the second half of the bread. Press lightly together. In a shallow mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Dip 2 of the sandwiches into the egg mixture, coating evenly. Fry in the butter until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and slice horizontally.
Serve warm with a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar if desired. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and sandwiches.