- 12 eggplant slices, each about 1/4-inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1/4-inch thick
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted medium red peppers, peeled, seeded and julienne
- Season both sides of the eggplant with salt and pepper. Let sit for 2 minutes. Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pan-fry the eggplant slices, in batches, until golden brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Using a paper towel, wipe out the skillet and repeat the process with the remaining oil and eggplant.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly brush both sides of the bread with the extra- virgin olive oil. Season both sides with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Place 3 slices of the eggplant over each slice of bread. Lay a couple slices of cheese over the eggplant. Top the cheese with some of the peppers. Place in the oven and bake until the cheese melts, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.