- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds Idaho white potatoes, peeled and cut into French fries
- 1/2 pound fresh cheese curd, crumbled
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Combine the butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to blend. Cook, stirring, constantly, to make a dark brown roux, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in the stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and blanch for 4 minutes. Remove, drain and cool completely. Fry the potatoes in hot vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, mound the fries into the individual (16-ounce) disposable cups. Spoon the gravy over the fries and sprinkle with the cheese. Serve immediately.