- 1 pound organic chicken livers, trimmed of any membranes
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon pink curing salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, plus ¾ cup cold unsalted cubed butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup ruby port
- ¼ cup cognac
- Croustades or sliced baguette, for serving
Combine chicken livers, thyme, kosher and pink curing salt in a freezer safe plastic food storage bag and cook at 68 degrees C for 30 to 40 minutes, or until livers are firm and pink.
While the livers are cooking, add the 1 ½ tablespoons butter and tablespoon of olive oil to a small skillet and saute the shallots and garlic until tender and lightly golden. Deglaze the pan with the port and cognac and cook until syrupy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
When the livers are done, transfer them to a blender (discard any juices as well as the thyme sprigs) and add the shallot mixture. Add the cold cubed butter and process until very smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt and finely ground pepper if desired.
Transfer to ramekins or other mold for serving, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, 2 to 4 hours.
Serve with croustades or a sliced baguette.
Easy Sous Vide Creme Brulee
Sous Vide Lemongrass Chicken with Thai Basil
Chopped Chicken Liver Spread
Sous Vide Curried Pumpkin and Sweet Potato
Sous Vide Greek Meatballs
Simple Sous Vide Steak
Sous Vide Skirt Steak for Tacos
Sous Vide Beet Salad with Feta, Pistachios, and Honey
Sous Vide Ginger Glazed Carrots
Sous Vide Viet-Style Pork Tenderloins