- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 3-ounce beef tenderloin medallions, pounded 3/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 pound button mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup Cognac or other brandy
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup veal demiglace or 1 tablespoon of concentrated home-style beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil. Season the meat with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until lightly browned on the bottom, about 1 minute. Turn the medallions and cook for 45 seconds longer, then transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
Add the shallot and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the Cognac and carefully ignite it with a long match. When the flames die down, add the mustard and cream and stir over moderate heat for 1 minute. Whisk in the veal demiglace or concentrated stock and Worcestershire sauce. Check for seasoning.
Serve with wilted greens and mashed potatoes, if desired.
Apple Cider Braised Pork Roast
Irish Beef Stew
Roast Pork Loin with Rosemary
Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
Turkey, Basmati and Wild Rice Casserole
Chicken Braised with Olives and Kumquats
Jalapeno Grilled Quail With Texas Red Grape Grapefruit Jelly Glaze
Ramp, Shrimp and Tomato Risotto