- 4 strips bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice, reserved in a bowl of cold water
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces grated sharp Cheddar, for garnish
In a heavy large saucepan or small Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until it has rendered most of its fat and begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, shallot, and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and add them to the pot along with the chicken stock, salt, white pepper and black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a simmer and then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat so that the soup remains at a slow simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream and green onions and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve the soup in bowls garnished with the Cheddar and sprinkled with more green onion tops and black pepper if desired.
Irish Stout and Cheddar Rarebit with Soft Boiled Eggs
Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream Cheese Frosting
Guinness Stout Ice Cream
Irish Beef Stew
Irish Soda Bread with Currants
Potato, Onion And Pea Champ
Ham Hock And Cabbage Soup
Corned Beef And Cabbage Strudel With A Grain Mustard Sauce
Potatoes Braised with Apples, Bacon and Cabbage